Sunday, May 12, 2013

I will lift my eyes

Even though I consider myself to be a sunshiny person most of the time, there are moments that just feel cloudy.  There are days when the stress is at a higher level, there are deadlines to meet, things to clean, errands to run, people asking you to do things, and a mental checklist begins to form. 

There is a country song that says "Sunday was the day of rest, now its one more day for progress..."  I discussed with my family this morning the beauty of Sundays.  Church, brunch, fellowship and rest time seem to always be part of my routine, making it a favorite day of my week.  Sunday is suppose to be for relaxing and refueling for the week ahead...right?

All that being said, when I looked to the week ahead, my stress level began to rise and I became overwhelmed.  After a heated conversation today, I decided I needed some alone time.  As I drove to our local Starbucks a song came on the radio with the lyrics "I will life my eyes to the Maker of the mountains I can't climb..."  So often do I attempt to approach and do things in my own strength.  Whether it is studying for a test, doing housework, or maintaining a relationship, I will always fall short.  I look at those "mountains" and start to formulate a plan to climb (or go around) them.  I think this is the step in which the stress starts to occur.

When I heard the song on the radio today I was reminded that I don't face anything alone.  It isn't up to me to have all the answers or to know the next step, let alone the steps of the whole journey.  Allowing some of the weight to be taken from MY shoulders allows the stress and pressure to be lifted and lessened.

I talked to my sweet friend on the phone today about this very subject.  She said that instead of making a to do list for myself, I should look to God to see what HE has for me this day, this week, etc.  It's refreshing to take a step back and recognize that some things are so small in the eternal spectrum.  What is more important--taking advantage of the opportunities put in front of me or worrying about insignificant things such as cleaning the house?  Not to say that there is not a time for those little things, they can be good!  But it's helpful to recognize that some things just don't matter in light of eternity.  I've been reminded today that Sundays (and each day) are a gift to make the most of, to do the things that are truly valuable. 

In Him,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment