Sunday, July 7, 2013

get your shine on!

It has been a while since I sat down and wrote an entry on here.  I've been doing a lot more writing by hand in my journal so I guess that has sort of been a substitute.  Here is an update on the last month or so of my life!

The beginning of June was busy as I was preparing for finals and wrapping up the school year.  It's hard to believe my first year of college is done!!  I ended up with solid grades that placed me on the Dean's List all three quarters.  I couldn't have imagined a better start to my college career!  Even more importantly, I met the best people while at Eastern that have changed my life.

The dorm life was a priceless experience that I am thankful I had the opportunity to have.  It's not everyday you can prop your door open, welcome in anyone that walks by, and make friends with so many people.  I definitely miss seeing everyone at all hours of the day, sharing meals, watching movies, just doing life together.  Cerstan, Mary, and Amanda were great roommates and we all became good friends!  That was definitely a blessing, considering how rare it is for a bunch of girls to live in close quarters and not clash.  I love them!  We were also lucky to have the best guy for a CA (the person in charge of our floor.)  Nick's definitely great at his job as he is welcoming, friendly, and just wants to be there for anyone who needs him.  I am lucky enough to call him one of my best friends as well!  The countless neighbors I can now call friends are all unique with a variety of backgrounds and upbringings.  Such great people to be introduced to!  All that to say, I thank God every day for the individuals I've been lucky enough to cross paths with, especially in Cheney.   I can't wait to see them in the fall!

Mid June I drove back to Meridian to live here for the summer.  This is the first time in 7 years that I haven't spent the majority of summer break in Austin with my dad and Chrissy.  (I'm looking forward to seeing them for a week in August!)  It's been nice to catch up with the friends and family I missed while living in WA this year!  Living at home with my mom, Greg, Gabbi and Hayden has been fun.  Love having lots of home cooked meals for sure!!!  Before starting my new job for the summer it was nice to be able to relax and settle in for a couple weeks.

I was hired on as a caregiver at Tomorrow's Hope when I interviewed this spring.  I work in a group home helping out people that have special needs.  As a lot of people know, I was a peer tutor in the extended resource room at school for 7 years and it made quite the impact on me!  When I graduated, there was a hole left in my heart as the students had become such a huge part of my life.  It is nice to be in a similar setting where I can serve those that are so unique and deserve to be loved on.  I just finished my 2nd week and I have already learned so much!  I'm working over 40 hours a week, early mornings and sometimes physically and emotionally challenging situations.  It is definitely hard work but I'm thankful for the opportunity that is growing and stretching me in so many ways.  I have some wonderful coworkers and am grateful for how patient and welcoming they have been!

This has already been a summer to remember.  I am growing and being challenged daily as God is constantly at work in my life and all around me.  He is continually reminding me that it is not about me or other people, but rather about Him.  When you seek HIM first, all else will be given to you, provided for you.  Trying to do things in your own strength only leaves you exhausted and falling short.  He is teaching me how to love and forgive those who have hurt me as that is something I'm not fully capable of myself.  He is teaching me to trust Him without borders, regardless of what the day brings.  He makes me whole!  Settling for the path of lesser resistance may be easier, but you miss out on the complexity, growth, and wisdom that is gained by traveling the more challenging road.  Each day may not be fun or feel good, but if I am learning something it is a day that has not been wasted.  I'm thankful for the potential that each moment holds!  Looking forward to the days remaining in summer full of meaning and memories!

In Him,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment